Today I thought we would talk about what you need to have a great bar!
Basic set of tools
When setting up a bar, you will need quite a lot of equipment. The following is a list of basic bar equipment you should have in your bar to allow you to make most drinks. You may also want to take a look at the list of additional equipment that will make life behind the bar a bit easier too.
- Can opener
- Measuring cups and spoon set
- Bar spoon with long handle and muddler on the end
- Juice squeezer
- Electric blender
- Cutting board and a sharp knife
- Ice bucket with an ice tong
- Mixing glass
- Shaker and strainer
- Bottle sealers
- Boxes/jars to store garnishes in
You will have to buy new supplies of the following equipment regularly.
- Cocktail napkins and coasters
- Swizzle sticks
- Straws, both long and short ones
- Cocktail picks
- Sugar and salt (for coating rim of glasses)
In addition you may wish to buy some other equipment to make things a bit easier and to be able to make additional drinks.
- Ice crusher, preferably electric
You can crush ice manually, but an electric crusher it a whole lot easier than using a hammer.
- Wooden muddler
- Ice pick or chipper
- Vegetable peeler or a twist cutter for fruit peels
- Ice scoop
- Nutmeg grater